A rich history and heritage
We are proud of our company heritage and the place we have earned in the Australian Wireless and Energy industries. With our humble beginnings in 1979, RFI has grown to be an industry leader.
RFI is a family owned Australian business founded in 1979 as a manufacturer of two way radio antenna systems. With our origins in manufacturing over that past 30 years, our business evolved into a leading global technology solutions company in Australia.
Our core business in that first decade was in the manufacture of mobile and base station antennas for the Australian two way radio market. We opened a manufacturing facility in Victoria, Australia, and transformed this into a state-of-the-art facility which still operates today.
It was also in the first decade that we started selling solar panels – to power remote base station antenna sites all over rural and outback Australia. Power was an absolute necessity in outback Australia. We supplied and installed remote base station radio sites all over rural and outback Australia.This started our journey into the world of solar energy.
RFI’s milestones include:
- In the late 80s we opened a dedicated export department in our Queensland Office. Today we service more than 150 countries in all seven continents.
- In 1987 RFI provides on-glass antennas to the early adopters of cellular mobile phones in Australia.
- In 1995 RFI provides Cell extender solutions for Telstra, expanding the analogue cellular network.
- In 2000 RFI partners with BP Solar distributing solar panels across Australia.
- In 2003 we founded the Power Partner Dealer Network, a ground breaking first of its kind in the Australian solar industry. Today, the program has over 80 accredited solar & off-grid installers into the program.
- In 2006 we acquired Long Distance Technologies (LDT) one of Australia’s leading high-end radio repeater manufacturers headquartered in South Australia. Our SA facility features a 1,000 sqm high grade manufacturing and R&D facility.
- In 2010 we expanded our international operations to and opened RFI Americas in Cleveland Ohio and servicing the Americas market. This facility includes a 16,000 sq ft (1490 sqm) distribution centre.
- Also in 2010 we opened an office in the United Kingdom to service the European and Middle Eastern markets. RFI EMEA in Oxford UK.
- In 2013 RFI acquired Repsys to expand its capabilities as Oceania’s premier IBC solutions provider.